Monday, October 4, 2010

When Glasses are a Bigger Deal than Down Syndrome

Last Friday Bill and I took Becca for an eye doctor appointment.  This was a long and unpleasant ordeal, but the end of the story is that she has a prescription for glasses.  She is far sighted.

So that night, Joey asks me, in all (whiny) seriousness, "Mom, why do I have to have a geeky sister that has to wear glasses?"  On the inside, I'm ROFL, thinking, um, hello?  Have you noticed the bright green hearing aids in your own ears or the fact that your sister has Down syndrome? 

But those things are just normal in his life.  Heaven forbid glasses!  What will people think??

Anyway, I couldn't say that to him.  I just told him matter of factly that Becca needs glasses to see better, that lots of people wear them, and it's not that big a deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment